Wednesday, April 20, 2011

CARMILLA

Yes, Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu’s “Carmilla.” One of my favorite stories; made a lasting impression on me. And there are the film versions, from LUST FOR A VAMPIRE to BLOOD AND ROSES to THE VAMPIRE LOVERS. Sure, good entertainment, but NOT Le Fanu’s “Carmilla.”

So, I took it upon myself to write a film script of Le Fanu’s “Carmilla.” Yeah, I dabble from time to time with screenplays, teleplays, short film scripts, treatments, written television proposals, etc etc etc…back to the blood of the matter…The result of my film script was an adaptation entitled “Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu’s CARMILLA.” It’s my film version of Le Fanu’s story. It’s NOT driven by special effects. It’s story driven; Le Fanu’s story. Imagine a period piece with wonderful costumes and sets; blend in some Gothic atmosphere, some shades and shadows, implied events, fear and uncertainty. And Le Fanu’s story and characters, of course.

There, you have my screenplay of Le Fanu’s story. A direct adaptation. Any success with it? No. It’s been out there on the market, but no producer/agent/what-have-you has the balls to take a serious look at a Gothic horror story about a female vampire with a penchant for breast bitten female victims.

Yes, that Carmilla. The same Carmilla that inspired Bram Stoker to write DRACULA.

Well, maybe a teleplay will have better success. I’m toying with the idea of a rewritten 7 act MOW teleplay. Or a two part miniseries (even more difficult to promote and garner interest). Well, we’ll just see what happens.

1 comment: